Staying One Step Ahead of Eye Disease
Our unique holistic approach to eye disease care involves putting our patients’ overall health first. Learning how lifestyle can play a part in eye disease is important and at Sokol Advanced EyeCare we incorporate that into vision care.
The first step in eye disease care is early detection. Contact us to book your comprehensive eye exam and get a head start on eye disease diagnosis and management.
Early Detection Is Key
Eye disease is a complicated collection of different vision issues. Our goal at Sokol Advanced EyeCare is to preserve your long-term vision with early detection and, in turn, early treatment.
It’s important for us to keep our patients informed and comfortable throughout the exam process and clearly explain the next steps following diagnosis.
A Closer Look at Eye Disease
Learning about the different types of eye diseases can help keep our patients informed. At Sokol Advanced EyeCare, we want our patients to be aware of some of the early signs of developing eye disease and be comfortable reaching out to book an eye exam.
Common signs and symptoms of cataracts can include:
- Fading or yellowing of colors
- Double vision in the affected eye
- Increasing difficulty driving at night
- Sensitivity to light and glare
- Frequent changes in your vision prescription
Cataracts can affect your daily life and make daily activities such as reading or driving more difficult. When this occurs, we may suggest some management methods such as stronger eyeglasses, magnifying lenses, or sunglasses with anti-glare coating.
We also provide full cataract exams and management services when you’re considering cataract removal surgery as an option.
Damage from glaucoma can be caused by abnormally high pressure in the eye, referred to as intraocular pressure. Glaucoma can occur at any age but is more common in older adults and is one of the leading causes of blindness for people over 60.
Common signs and symptoms of glaucoma may include:
- Blurred vision
- Patchy blind spots in peripheral or central vision
- Halos around lights
- Severe headaches
At Sokol Advanced EyeCare, our team uses diagnostic technology to help manage glaucoma, such as:
- Goldmann applanation tonometry is used to detect changes and abnormalities in your eye pressure. This test is considered the most common and most accurate type of tonometry test to measure intraocular pressure.
- The iCare tonometer helps measure intraocular pressure (IOP) in a patient’s eyes. The iCare tonometer device allows our team to perform IOP measurements efficiently in a seated or standing position.
Age-Related Macular Degeneration (AMD)
While AMD usually doesn’t cause complete blindness, it can make it more difficult to see faces, drive, read, or do detail-oriented tasks around the house.
Prevention methods such as giving up smoking, switching to a healthier diet, and getting regular physical activity can help slow the disease.
There are 2 main types of AMD to monitor:
- Dry AMD is the more common form of the disease and happens in early, intermediate, and late stages. It usually progresses over several years.
- Wet AMD is the less common form of the disease and usually results in faster vision loss. Wet AMD is always late-stage and happens when abnormal blood vessels grow in the back of your eye and damage the macula.
Eye Disease Management at Sokol Advanced EyeCare
At Sokol Advanced EyeCare, our experienced team is here to help you navigate and manage eye disease. Your visual health is important, and we want to ensure our patients are informed about their eyes.
Contact us to book an appointment and manage your eye disease concerns today.
Check Out Our Brands
Sokol Advanced EyeCare is located in Madison, Wisconsin. You can find us right on the corner of Atwood Avenue & Winnebago Street.
Sokol Advanced EyeCare
- 2000 Atwood Ave.
- Madison, WI 53704
Hours of Operation
- Monday: 9:00 AM – 7:00 PM
- Tuesday: 8:00 AM – 6:00 PM
- Wednesday: 9:00 AM – 7:00 PM
- Thursday: 8:00 AM – 6:00 PM
- Friday: 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM
- Saturday: By Appointment
- Sunday: Closed